The Credit Transfer ( ) and Direct Debit ( ) Schemes evolve over time to reflect changes in market needs and updates of technical standards. To ensure planning security for all market participants, publication of updated versions of the and Rulebooks follows an established change and release management cycle.
The publishes updated versions of the rulebooks once annually in November of each year. These updated versions normally take effect in the third week of November of the following year. In accordance with industry best practice, payment service providers and their suppliers therefore have sufficient lead time to address rulebook updates prior to such changes taking effect.
The next version of the and Rulebooks ( Rulebook version 7.0, Rulebook version 7.0 and Business to Business (B2B) Rulebook version 5.0), will be published in November 2012. Based on the established release management cycle, the updated versions should take effect on 16 November 2013.
Single Euro Payments Area ( ) stakeholders however are currently working towards achieving compliance with the Regulation ( ) No 260/2012 establishing technical and business requirements for credit transfers and direct debits in euro and amending Regulation (EC) No 924/2009 (the Regulation), which defines 1 February 2014 as the deadline in the euro area for compliance with the core provisions of this Regulation.
As a result, the decided to postpone the effective date for the Rulebook version 7.0, Rulebook version 7.0 and Rulebook version 5.0, from 16 November 2013 to 1 February 2014. This allows market participants sufficient time to adapt their systems and operations to comply both with the Regulation and the updated version of the rulebooks.
The effective date of the rulebook versions published in November 2011 remains unchanged:
- The Rulebook version 6.0 will go live on 17 November 2012 (see link to ‘ 2012 Rulebook' below).
- The Rulebook version 6.0 and the Rulebook version 4.0 will go live on 17 November 2012 (see link to ‘ 2012 Rulebooks' below).
In May 2012, the launched the annual public consultation on possible modifications to be introduced into the next version of the and Rulebooks. The encourages all stakeholders to provide feedback by 13 August 2012. To participate in the public consultation, refer to the first link below. The annual scheme change management cycle offers all market participants a unique opportunity to shape the future of euro payments - so do not miss it!
- EPC News (16 May 2012): EPC Launches Annual Three Month Public Consultation on Possible Modifications to the SEPA Credit Transfer and SEPA Direct Debit Rulebooks
- EPC Website: SCT / SDD Rulebook Release Management and Scheme Development Management
- EPC Website: SCT 2012 Rulebook
- EPC Website: SDD 2012 Rulebook
- Regulation (EU) No 260 (the SEPA Regulation)
- EPC Newsletter: The New European Decision-Making Landscape: How the European Commission Rules Through 'Delegated Acts'. SEPA Regulation empowers the European Commission to mandate technical requirements applicable to SEPA payment schemes
If you would like to comment on this article, please identify yourself with your first and last name. Your name will appear next to your comment. Email addresses will not be published. Please note that by accessing or contributing to the discussion you agree to abide by the EPC website conditions of use.