Payment service providers providing services can find on this page information to help them implement the scheme.
The rulebook currently in effect up to and including 20 November 2021 is the 2019 rulebook version 1.2. This version has no impact on the business and operational rules compared to the 2019 rulebook version 1.1.
The Implementation Guidelines of the 2019 Credit Transfer rulebook version 1.2 are based on ISO 20022.
Do you want to use the European Payments Council's Intellectual Property Rights related to its payment schemes' rulebooks and implementation guidelines for non-euro transactions? Click here for more information.
The 2021 rulebook version 1.0 enters into force on 21 November 2021 and is applicable up to and including 18 November 2023.
The Implementation Guidelines are based on the relevant ISO 20022 XML message standards.
- The replacement of the EONIA rate references into references to the euro short-term rate (€STR).
- An updated definition of the term ‘Banking Business Day’, the replacement of the term ‘Bank’ with ‘ ’ and an updated definition of the term ‘Customer’.
- Changes to the inquiry procedure i.e. extra interbank rules, detailed inquiry procedure diagrams, the concrete payment of fees or interest compensation based on a dedicated ISO 20022 message, and the possibility to make multiple requests for a status update for several inquiries in a single message.
- A feature that can link an transaction with a preceding Request-To-Pay (RTP) message.
- Changes to the r-transaction procedures Recall and Request for Recall by the Originator (RFRO) i.e. extra procedure diagrams for RFRO, the extension of the period to submit a Recall in case of fraud, the alignment of the Recall and RFRO datasets within the rulebook and between both rulebooks, and the possibility to make multiple requests for a status update for several RFROs in a single message.
- A formal rulebook reference to the separate guidance document on r-transaction reason codes.
Annex IV of the 2021 rulebook version 1.0 lists all changes compared to the version 1.2 of the 2019 rulebook.